Thread: Scott Walker

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks Paul. I'd stopped watching it by then so have no knowledge of him, but I'll have a listen...

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    I love the strings on that one too.
    Thats one of the things I've noticed on some of the songs of his I've heard, a very rich sound, like a big band orchestra

Tilt (along with his performance of Rosary on Later...) was my first experience of Scott Walker although I'd heard Bowie's version of Nite Flights.

I do wish they'd re-release that last Walker Brothers record. The Electrician sounded great on the documentary.
    explodes

Pip Madeley Guest

Loving the Scotts so much this evening that I've made a playlist of my 10 fave tracks:

• The Old Man's Back Again
    • It's Raining Today
    • Montague Terrace (In Blue)
    • Butterfly
    • Jackie
    • Big Louise
    • Sons Of
    • Angels Of Ashes
    • Copenhagen
    • Plastic Palace People

God knows why it took me so long to discover the magic of Scott.

WhiteCrow Guest

No Seventh Seal?

Pip Madeley Guest

Maybe one day. It's enjoyable enough, but those 10 tracks better it at the moment.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    Maybe one day. It's enjoyable enough, but those 10 tracks better it at the moment.
    Criminal

Pip Madeley Guest

Smooth Criminal.

Seventh Seal is a great song but it doesn't have quite the same kind of flow to it as the others. Its not one a regularly sing along to. So I think Pip is right not to include it.

Out of your list my favs would be Montague Terrace in Blue which is one of the first classic structured Scott songs, The Old Man's Back Again which has the coolest bassline, Its Raining Today which is perfect for watching the raindrops run down the window to and Copenhagen which is just wonderful.

Dammit Madeley, I want to listen to Scott now and there's not time to add his albums to my ipod before I have to leave for work.

You lot might be interested in this on Friday night.

Scott Walker: 30th Century Man
    Scott Walker: 30 Century Man is a long-overdue look at one of the most influential and enigmatic figures in rock history. The film explores his music and career, from his early days as a jobbing bass player on the Sunset Strip, to mega-stardom in Britain's swinging 60s pop scene as lead singer of The Walker Brothers, and his evolution into one of the most astonishing soundmakers of the last few decades.

He's 63 years old and released his first album in over 10 years, The Drift on 4 AD Records in 2007 to widespread critical acclaim. The film features exclusive behind-the-scenes footage of the making of that album, interviews with the enigmatic Scott himself as well as interviews with friends, collaborators, and fans including, among others: David Bowie, Radiohead, Jarvis Cocker (Pulp), Brian Eno, Damon Albarn (Blur, Gorillaz), Marc Almond, Alison Goldfrapp, Sting, and many more.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Pip Madeley Guest

Nice to see it getting another airing - it's a terrific documentary.

I'm listening to some Scott Walker now myself, having caught some of this stuff - alas I'd love to find that documentary (but dream on over here).
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

A lot of his song somehow manage to sound quite BIG and EPIC.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

The documentary is out on dvd so you should be able to find it, provided it was released over there.
    Was listening to Scott 3 this morning? Have you ever heard his more recent stuff, Mike? I'm thinking Tilt and The Drift.

I think maybe I ought to seek it out!

Do but beware its very different. To prepare you for them its probably best you listen to Scott's tracks on the final Walkers Brothers album, Nite Flights.
    Especially the track 'The Electrician'. Not sure if you'll like Tilt (I've grown to love it over the years) but I could see you getting into The Drift.