View Poll Results: Would You Stop To Help Someone Being Attacked?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd help like the foolhardy and impulsive vigilante I am

5 62.50%
  • No, I'd keep my teeth, thanks. What do I care? GAH!

3 37.50%

Default Would You Stop And Help?

I saw a shocking article on the local news last night about a guy who'd been set upon on the tube by two thugs and beaten up. The article grimly noted that "at least one passer by looked the other way". The BBC then went on to question whether it was our "duty" in a situation like this to intervene.

In the customary "interview the public" vox pops piece that followed, some people said they would instinctively step in to help the chap, others said they wouldn't have the courage. What would you do? If you saw someone being attacked, would you step in and help or turn the other way?

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

It depends of course on how many there were and if they were armed, but my natural reaction would be to get stuck in and help if I felt able to - I was once out in town with mates and we saw a young lad being beat up by three other lads (for no good reason it turned out), so we all waded in and gave them a good kicking, pinning them down till the police arrived.

Then the police arrived and thanked us.

Good on yer, Pip!

Me, I'd like to think I'd help, and hopefully if I did, others might wade in too and help me. But I'm sure it would be a scary situation, and you never quite know what you would do until faced with that scenario.
    Last edited by Dave Tudor; 14th Sep 2007 at 6:29 PM.

I saw someone being beaten up up at some traffic lights in the high street a couple of years ago, and I have to admit that I couldn't bring myself to try and stop the lone attacker, not even a rugby tackle. I'm not naturally violent, and on the rare occasions that I have been, it's only when my temper's snapped, and I've felt rotten afterwards.

If I saw someone being attacked I couldn't look the other way. I would definitely take some kind of action - it depends on the circumstances - if I had a baseball bat to defend myself then there's no question I'd help as I would be able to protect myself in the intervention. But if it's a psychopath with a chainsaw or a mad axeman and I've got no means of defence I'd call the Police and wait for back up, meantime I'd do what I can without risking my own life.

And yes I'm proud of you Pip

Personal idiocy says I'd want to intervene. And would probably get beaten to a ruddy pulp in the aftermath.
    We ride tornadoes. We eat tomatoes.

WhiteCrow Guest

I know my wife would always try and step in and defuse a situation like that - I've seen her do it countless times. I really admire her ability for it.

sadly like a lot of people I would not get involved for fear of being stabbed or shot but I would phone the police.

Wayne Guest

I'm somewhere in between Pip & Ralph.
    As most have said, It depends on the circumstances, but i reckon i'm a 'yes' man.

Pip Madeley Guest

I'm somewhere in between Pip & Ralph.
    Budge up.

It really depends on the situation... if a couple 14 year old white boys were beating up another kid and I could tell by the way they were dressed that they weren't likely to be armed with guns, then I almost certainly would interject myself.. But in most cases I would probably just call the police on my cell phone. I don't know what the gun situation is in the UK, but from what I have heard it pales to the amount of guns being toted around the streets over here.

Interesting to see some of the thoughts here but in reality in the heat of the moment I don't think the dangers are always considered. Not always a good thing of course!

So the question is, "If someone is being mugged should you go & help?"

And I think you should...

...so long as you get your share!