Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I'm looking forward to next months Q Interview in which they claim their last album was crap.

Though of course, I won't be reading it as THIS IS GOING TO BE THE MONTH I BREAK FREE FROM Q! Oh yes it is! I can do it!

Si.

Break the Q habit, Si!

If it helps, buy Mojo, Uncut and Word this month instead. Spread your wings, honey. If you like any of them, perhaps you could carry on with them instead?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I don't really think there IS a music magazine to cater to my tastes (this week I've bought the Verve, Solange and Taio Cruz singles) and I don't know even that I want one. I'm just struggling to break the habit because I've got every issue since 1998 and it seems a shame to stop!

Si.

Just because you've been doing it for a long time doesn't mean it's good. How many times do you re-read old issues? Pick out the ones you want to keep and get rid of the rest. And I mean into the recycling.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Pip Madeley Guest

I considered getting tickets to see them tour this winter... until I discovered they've not planned any dates in their hometown. WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    I'm looking forward to next months Q Interview in which they claim their last album was crap.

Though of course, I won't be reading it as THIS IS GOING TO BE THE MONTH I BREAK FREE FROM Q! Oh yes it is! I can do it!

Si.
    I'd been buying it every month since the Kate Bush cover in December 1993, but have only got two issues this year. I will be free of it!

I considered getting tickets to see them tour this winter... until I discovered they've not planned any dates in their hometown. WTF?
    They're not doing the O2 either, because they dissaprove of it (or something). It's like we're doing THEM a favour.

Si.

I think I would have loved to have seen them live in their heyday, but I can't be bothered going to see them now. Also, the new single isn't up to much, either.

Pip Madeley Guest

Oh my:

Oasis will play a series of outdoor gigs in the UK and Ireland next summer.

The band announced the shows, which include dates at London Wembley Stadium and Manchester Heaton Park, at a press conference on Thursday.

Support on the tour, which also visits Sunderland, Edinburgh and Dublin's Slane Castle, will come from Kasabian and The Enemy.

Oasis are currently in the middle of a UK tour and are due to play London Wembley Arena over the next two nights.

The 2009 tour visits:

Manchester Heaton Park - June 6-7
    Sunderland Stadium of Light - 10
    Cardiff Millennium Stadium - 12
    Edinburgh Murrayfield Stadium - 17
    Slane Castle - 20
    London Wembley Stadium - July 11-12
    Tickets go on sale at 10am on October 24.

Previously, Noel Gallagher told the BBC the band had a giant show planned in their home town.

But the band gave no indication of a wider UK and Irish tour until this afternoon.

The show at Slane Castle on 20 June, 2009, will be the first time they have returned to the venue since they backed REM there 13 years ago.

Oasis are also set to headline the BBC Electric Proms at the London Roundhouse on 26 October with the Crouch End Festival Chorus.

The band went to Number One this week with their seventh album Dig Out Your Soul.
    Oasis on my doorstep for two nights... which means cars EVERYWHERE.

Oh! Oh! Oh! This exciting band has won an award for being 'The Best!'

Oasis scooped up NME pop music magazine's award for best British band on Wednesday, while former US president George W. Bush was named villain of the year for a record-breaking sixth time.

"Oasis have proved yet again, with a triumphant seventh album that our love affair with them simply has no sign of ending," NME's editor Conor McNicholas said in a statement. "The stateside scene continues to go from strength to strength."
    http://www.nme.com/news/oasis/43043

Oasis have won Best British Band at the Shockwaves NME Awards tonight (February 25).

The Manchester band were unable to make the ceremony at the O2 Brixton Academy in London due to live commitments in Europe. However, the band sent in an acceptance video featuring themselves along with former Shockwaves NME Awards host Russell Brand.

In the video speech, Noel Gallagher joked with the comic, saying: "This is ironic, we're being given Best Britsh Band by the second best British comedian. Thanks to all the readers who've voted... This has turned into a right bad idea..."

Surprisingly the announcement was greeted by some booing from some sections of the audience, which host Mark Watson and guest presenters Kasabian frontman Tom Meighan tried to play down.
    The full list of nominees for Best British Band supported by Shockwaves were:

Bloc Party (OK)
    The Last Shadow Puppets (Good)
    Muse (Good)
    Oasis (Dreary)
    Radiohead (Dreadful on an unprecedented level of up-yer-own-backside awfulness)

But I mean! Oasis! Who'd ever have thought that they could win such an amazing string of awards ten years, fifteen years or even forty years ago? They're such trailblazers.

I've bought everything they've ever done and even I think the new album is crap.

Si.

Oasis scooped up NME pop music magazine's award for best British band on Wednesday, while former US president George W. Bush was named villain of the year for a record-breaking sixth time.

"Because their records still sell incredibly well to idiots who are happy to listen to the same crap over and over again, we've given the award to them despite their being millions of better bands around," NME's editor Conor McNicholas, who is widely considered to be the man who has destroyed the magazine's credibility and is apparently an all round tosser, said in a statement. "The stateside scene continues to go from strength to strength, and by god we wish we could have given it to one of those bands, but then we might lose even more of our precious readership."
    Fixed.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

I'm an idiot who keeps buying their CD's! No offence taken though, as it's just really hard to "break the habit" when you really love a group and have bought everything they've done and then they go crap. It's similar to trying to stop buying Q - every time, you think "maybe they've got it back" or "well, I've got all the others, it'd be a shame if my collection was incomplete" and then it's rubbish and you think "right, that's the last one I'm getting!". Then next time, enough time has passed that you think "maybe they've got it back..."

Si.

Sorry Si, I think I over-react to Oasis' ongoing popularity because it frustrates me to see them carry on successfully whilst other bands that I've loved have called it a day after being dropped by their record companies.

For the record, I did like them well enough for a while (I know it's a cliche, but the first two albums had a lot of great (if not shockingly original) rock n roll tunes on it), and I'm glad I've seen them live as they were a lot of fun when headling Reading back in 2001. I just feel they should've called it a day by now, and it amazes me that they won the Best Band award when there's so many far more inventive musicians around.

I know what you mean about breaking the habit though, I'm the same with Radiohead. To be fair each album has one or two songs on it that I do tend to like, but most of the time the albums end up gathering dust on shelves, and the last time I was truly in love with one of them was OK Computer.

Plus I really hate what Connor McNicholas has done to the NME, once it was a great source for finding decent new bands, with really well written articles, but both seem to be missing from the magazine these days.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Pip Madeley Guest

This amuses me:

'Cheeky' Oasis fans demand refund

Idiots should've never offered one if they didn't want to refund fans...

Noel quits Oasis? (again...)

28 August 2009

"It's with some sadness and great relief to tell you that I quit Oasis tonight. People will write and say what they like, but I simply could not go on working with Liam a day longer.

"Apologies to all the people who bought tickets for the shows in Paris, Konstanz and Milan."

http://www.oasisinet.com/NewsArticle.aspx?n=773

I thought my brother was difficult.

I'm guessing Manchester is in mourning?
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

They'll be back together before the week is out... we've seen this all before (and no doubt will again too). They'll sell a few more albums off the back of the news and then annouce they've reconciled their differences and carry on making more albums almost exactly the same as their last seven.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowNZ View Post
    I thought my brother was difficult.

I'm guessing Manchester is in mourning?
    Well, I'm expecting to hear a few Oasis songs in the city tonight! It's almost a cliche to say that their time had been and gone, and that they'd never top their early work, but at the same time I think we all got used to them just always being there. I can't imagine them carrying on without Noel, but if anyone wants to be in that band, it's Liam Gallagher.
    I must admit, just when I think I'm king, I just begin!

HAH!

They've finally realised they'll never be as good as Blur!

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    They'll be back together before the week is out... we've seen this all before (and no doubt will again too). They'll sell a few more albums off the back of the news and then annouce they've reconciled their differences and carry on making more albums almost exactly the same as their last seven.

Si xx
    God bless you Si Hart!
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Liam lives to be in that band, so as Si said, in a few weeks they'll be back together again. What else are they going to do for the rest of their lives?

Si.

There must be an ex-member of Ocean Colour Scene knocking about who could replace Noel, surely?
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

What else are they going to do for the rest of their lives?
    Begins with a "C" and rhymes with Coltrane.