Thread: Earthquake!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Earthquake!

Who felt it then?

I felt the earth move a bit, I was outside at the time, I thought it was the wind though!

I only realised what it was when people started texting asking if I'd felt it!

It's breaking news on Sky/BBC now.

I heard Janice Long talking about it on her show around the time you posted Matt, she wasn't long in getting some feedback from people who'd felt it either.
    Wouldn't have felt it here in Wales though fortunately.

Thought it was the central heating blowin up initially,there was a tremor abt 8years ago but nothing like this

Official news! That's the first Earthquake to wake me up, ever!
    I heard rumbling & Angela's dressing table was shaking & rattling her necklaces against the mirror. I thought part of the house was coming down. But that's what you get for being half asleep.

I'm gutted I slept through it all.

Wayne Guest

I was awake.
    It started as a distant rumble, like a train going by, & actually got louder & more intense, as it seemed to get closer. Then the whole flat shook for a few seconds. Not bad enough to vibrate anything off the shelf or anything, but it was definitely a hairy moment before it passed away!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    ...but it was definitely a hairy moment before it passed away!
    It sounds like your talking about a spider before you hit it with a shoe!

Wayne Guest

I don't kill spiders, i leave them alone.

I enjoyed it. We should have more earthquakes.

Pip Madeley Guest

Preferably nearer your house than mine.

It started as a distant rumble, like a train going by, & actually got louder & more intense,
    I can't help but wonder if you've seen the Fast Show sketch of the guy who experienced an earthquake but is unable to stop swearing while recounting the story. He starts his account in almost exactly that way...

For anyone who hasn't, it's here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R56Dkf2cuKE

Pip Madeley Guest

And probably not work-safe.

But classic. I'm sure Wayne's seen it, he's a big Fast Show fan

That's brilliant! Not as good as Bob Fleming but still funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Morgan View Post
    Wouldn't have felt it here in Wales though fortunately.

Seems I was wrong. It was felt as far away as Swansea even though the epicentre was Market Rasen. Strongest tremor for 25 years eh! It certainly caused some damage.

Captain Tancredi Guest

I can't tell whether it woke me up or not- before everybody leaps to the assumption that I was in some kind of drunken haze in the small hours of the morning, I've been slightly ill the last couple of days and gone to bed at about 7 with pounding headaches. Last night also wasn't helped by the fact that the house was being buffeted by gales until midnight or so, and because my bedroom is on the western face of the building it tends to catch the prevailing wind direction and it was noisy.

Having said that, I think I remember being woken by some alarms going off but just rolled over.

Wayne Guest

My folks live 8 miles from Market Rasen. They must've slept through the tremors, but both my sister & Mum & Dad were woken my a loud bang, which Dad said sounded like a car had driven into the garden wall.
    There was no major damage but they have a lot of paintings in the house, & they were all skewiff, & a couple of plates in my Mum's corner cabinet slipped down & broke some glasses.
    So it wasn't exactly Tsunami, but even so the police apparently got over 700 calls. God knows what people expected the local plod to do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    Preferably nearer your house than mine.
    I think it probably was anyway

It woke me Mum up and knocked over my Rose (series 1) and Grey Suit Auton actions figures but strangely enough none of the others
    I of course slept through the whole thing.

I was in bed and it woke me up! The bed was shuddering and felt like it was moving on wheels. The rumbling was quite scary actually.

I think I felt it but not majorly. I was drifting off to sleep at that time traveling, leaving logic and reason, traveling, to the arms of unconsciousness and there was a noise/rumble that sounded to me at the time like someone very heavy running over the roof or through the house. I assumed it was either a train or a gale or I'd imagined it.

Exciting!

I slept through it! I was doing a sleep-in at work, and, ironically, it's the first time I've had a full night's sleep without being woken up!!
    the police apparently got over 700 calls. God knows what people expected the local plod to do about it.
    Either arrest some tectonic plates - or just blame the local hoodies as usual!

It does make you despair how thick the vast majority of people are. I suppose it makes a slight change from them dialing 999 just to order a taxi or a pizza though. These are the kinds of people who will shout abuse at a soap actor they see in the street just because they play a bad character. The kinds of people who only have the dimmest flicker of consciousness or grasp on reality, and they're bloody everywhere. The great ignored/ignorant majority.

I didn't feel it, which is unsurprising. Honestly, we're the ones in an earthquake zone!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    I didn't feel it, which is unsurprising. Honestly, we're the ones in an earthquake zone!

Si xx
    I was thinking that when I saw your post. Hope you're both enjoying yourselves. What time of day is it there? At a guess I'd say about half seven in the evening?

Not bad enough to vibrate anything off the shelf or anything
    What a relief !- you don't want any of those Pertwee DVD cases getting dented...that would have been a disaster!