Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

It's a Dell Dimension 4400.

Si.

I can set the Boot device?

1st Boot Device is currently set to [Removable Dev]. It can be Remove Dev, Hard Drive, ATAPI CD-ROM or Disabled.

Si.

ATAPI CD ROM is what you want to change it to.

There will be an option to repair an existing version of windows XP. Find that and run it.
    Setup is now loading from the XP CD. I'm following this website:

http://theeldergeek.com/repairing_windows_xp.htm

Which says I want to "Set up Windows" rather than using recovery console. Are they right?

Si.

Yes, and then you will choose 'R' on the next screen after that which says to repair an already existing version of windows.. (but nothing about recovery console - this is the next graphic down on that website)

The repair will appear to be completely re-installing windows and you will probably have to re-activate windows, but all of your files and stuff will be left on the PC.

I just don't believe it.

It's re-installed Windows but all that's happened is that it now skips the info screen. It boots (with a slightly modified Windows logo) gets so far, then that quick blue screen flashes up, then it re-starts itself. What next?

Si.

this guy had exactly my problem. Exactly. But sadly if he found a solution, it isn't noted down on the thread.

Si.

You might try using the recovery console option next... (the page it links too seems to only have instructions for installing and uninstalling it on the Hard disk though, and none for actually using it.

If that doesn't work...

Is there anything on the hard drive that isn't backed up that you really don't want to lose?

Reformatting and reinstalling a brand new version of windows will solve your problem, but it will be like having a brand new computer. All of your stuff on the HD would be gone.

The other option as far as I can tell would be to take it in to be repaired.

Yes, I'm afraid we're not great at backing up and we really don't want to reformat the computer.

A question: we were sort of toying with getting a new computer anyway. If this problem proved to be insurmountable, if we didn't reformat the computer and got a new one, is there any way we could access the files on the old computer and get them onto a new PC.

One last hope: now the "We apologize..." message is gone, I DO have a screen I couldn't get to before: the Windows Advanced Options Screen. The Safe Mode and the Last Known Good Config options still don't work, but I do have "Directory Services Restore Mode (Windows domain controllers only)" and "Debugging Mode". Are these any good?

I will try the Recovery Console next. Presumably this won't reformat the computer?

Si.

I don't imagine it would hurt to try those other options...

No, recovery console will not reformat (unless you choose the reformat command).

Here are some Recovery Console directions:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial117.html

I think 'FIXBOOT' and 'FIXMBR' are the two commands you will want to execute.

As far as using a new computer, that could work, but if you get another brand name computer you may run into the situation where opening up the computer voids your warranty. If not you can open them both up and hook up the old HD as a slave and then save the files you want to the new HD.

You could also just buy a cheap HD or an external HD and do that.
    Last edited by Jeff; 7th Oct 2008 at 8:30 PM.

This is heavy stuff. The first article just tells you how the start the recovery console.

The RC seems to effectively be a DOS based 'back door' into the computer files, i.e it's just a command line from which you can run various actions on the hard disk.

I've found one called fixmbr which supposedly repairs the "master boot record of the boot partition".

When I run it it warns me that my "computer appears to have a non-standard or invalid master boot record" (but could this be the problem?)

"FIXMBR may damage your partition tables if you proceed. This could cause all the partitions on the current hard disk to become inaccessible. If you are not having problems accessing your drive, do not continue."

Should I risk it? Or will this potentially wreck the chances of getting it repaired by a professional?

Si.

I have a horrible track record when it comes to computer issues but I'd suggest you don't touch the computer any more. If you can cope with a laptop then use that. If you take the hard drive to a professional, they should be able to get everything that is salvageable off it and onto an external hard drive. Then you can reformat, reinstall and put it all back. It sounds as if the next thing you do could ruin everything (as I've done on at least four documented occasions).
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

I had just edited that into the above post.

Yes, I think FIXMBR and FIXBOOT are the best options now (try FIXBOOT first). And I have used both on my PC and it did fix it that time. Fixboot shoudln't make your files inaccesable as far as removing them later to another HD.

I don't know whether to try FIXMBR or take Lissa's advice and just contact my old work colleague Steve, who I think used to repair computers...

Si.

Try FIXBOOT and CHKDSK first, they won't hurt anything.

FIXBOOT works in a second, but does nothing. I started running CHKDISC but it started recovering something, reached 25% and has been like that for ten minutes, so I don't really know what to do.

Si.

I'd let it sit there for awhile and take a break. If it hasn't moved in a half hour or so you may want to try hitting esc or resetting the PC.

It's not been the best of days really.

Si.

32%! It must be doing something.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt
    It's not been the best of days really.

Si.

I've been through this many times over the years with my own PC's. Had to reformat and re-install on plenty of occasions too. Miranda had to go and have someone use a tool to save her pictures once when I accidentally reformatted the whole hard disk instead of just a partition like I thought. They had to use a tool that police detectives use to get info off hard drives that have been reformatted.

So, hang in there.

I think the time I had a problem similar to yours was when I was using zonealarm and other freeware which is why I hate it now. Since switching to pay security programs I've had no problems like this. I suggest Kaspersky Internet Security or PC-Cillin really, but that's all just my opinion, others may differ.

Chkdsc finally finished, and found one or more errors on the volume. But it doesn't say if it fixed them or not!

And the computer still won't reboot. The only thing now I haven't tried is Fixmbr.

Si.

Fixmbr is supposedly good for fixing boot sectors damaged by a virus, which sounds like what I've got. But will it damage the chances of recovering data from the computer in future?

I'd just like to thank you, Jeff, for helping me this evening (you too Lissa). You've been a Godsend, and although we haven't found a solution at least I haven't felt helpless. It's at times like your computer dying that you discover who your friends are!

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    And the computer still won't reboot. The only thing now I haven't tried is Fixmbr.

Si.
    That's going to be up to you to decide. It may fix it, it may do nothing, and as it warns, it may mess up the partition tables.

You really just have to weigh wether or not you are willing to risk the files on the PC.

This all sounds horrible Si, I wish I could help but the only time I've been through something similar I ended up having to format the hard drive, and lost all the data on it which was pretty gutting. I hope the same doesn't happen to you and that you get it all sorted out soon, anyway.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

When I get the computer wiped and put back, can anyone suggest the free programs I'd need to stop this happening again? What's the ideal collection of free virus protection and firewall programs I should have running?

Thanks

Si.