Having just watched all three Band Aid videos back to back, I thought I would take a chance to say what a wonderful concept they are. It may have had a stake run through the last of its credibility by the critical mauling "our" generation gave it on the last version, but besides the charitable aims it's just a lovely thing to have all of the day's pop stars come together to sing such an iconic song, and they really should do it every year.

And, you know what, I think all three versions have the ability to make you grin like a loon. But which one's best?

Band Aid (1984)

The original is certainly the 'text book' reading of the song, although these days the production sounds a bit muffled and the whole thing seems a bit grimy, befitting 1984. But it still boasts the most thrilling feeling of Pop Star's coming together, as the early eighties finest swan about the studio pretending not to see the camera and being cool. Boy George puts in a winning vocal performance and, though dated, those synth-bells still warm the heart. Bananarama are there, looking like three old slags as usual.

Band Aid 2 (1989)

Cliff Richard finally gets elevated to the position he deserves and sings the most, and in return wears Big Glasses in the video. The team-up of Sonia and Lisa Stansfield was inspired! And, c'mon, isn't it just great to see Kylie and Jason singing on this song? Bros are doing the swanning in this time, and clearly think they'll be around forever - Bono and Boy George have scarpered meanwhile. Marti Pellow is here! And so are Bananarama, with added JACQUI goodness.

Band Aid 20 (2004)

Today's pop stars are highly intellectual and 'musicians' therefore Chris Martin and Dido arrive to suck the life out the tune and relegate it to something "meaningful". Best bits? Robbie's phoned-in cameo, Will Young and Jamelia recreating the Stansfield/Sonia 'interesting team up' idea, and that brilliant Darkness guitar solo - they're untrendy these days, but it still sounds great! Worst bit - the song stops in the middle so everyone can have a cry. Still, the level of talent on show here is so great that they didn't let Rachel Stevens sing and Tom Chaplin has to share his one line with someone else who takes over half-way through. And no-one remembered to invite Bananarama.

And I haven't even mentioned THAT rap. At least it was different. This wasn't THAT bad was it?

So which version is best, and why? And don't you think it should be law that the song is updated by the pop stars of the day at least once every five years?

Si.