Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

"Assassin" hasn't aged well I don't think - imagine the thrill originally of suddenly having the Doctors entire society laid bare - it would have been a very different, original take on the concept to have them as stuffy old men, the myth of greateness from previous stories demolished. Unfortunately this is now so old hat that the power of the original idea is lost.

As a story it's still greatly written and made - the enemy lurking in the shadows of the capitol, the Doctors epic return home and evading of the Chancellory guard, and the decaying husk of the Master cackling in the darkness. It does have a terrible Part Four though, which wraps things up with an anticlimactic battle involving the Master slapping the Doctor around with the sash.

Si.

Let's also not forget that at the time this was by far the most controversial Doctor Who story- condemned by fans for taking liberties with the reputation of the Time Lords and meddling with established continuity. It's possibly the first example of major backtracking and revisionism by fandom, where it was once voted the worst story of its season in the DWAS poll for season 14, but was subsequently rehabilitated when the story was used as the basis for every Gallifrey story after it. If anyone has ever read the infamous review of the story by Jan Vincent Rudski, you'd read a damning review of the now reveared Hinchcliffe/ Holmes regime... it's as I've said before, very little current Doctor Who is actually liked by fandom. It's a cycle that goes round and round.

Si xx
    Last edited by SiHart; 9th Jan 2009 at 9:23 AM.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon R View Post
    I always think that cliffhanger is vastly undermined by the fact it's some tinpot kiddies themepark mini train. Unless it's meant to add to the surrealisms.
    That's how I've always interpreted it, and it works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    What has happened to the MAGIC OF DOCTOR WHO?

Si xx
    Well this was the first story I can ever remember, I remember the train track cliffhanger...but I thought they had skulls driving the train not that mask?
    So I'm delighted this is being released on DVD and couldn't care less how it's aged. (Famous last word-No! Keep the magic alive!...keep the magic alive...)

EDIT: That's brilliant! When you look at the Planet Skaro forum menu, it's reads "The Deadly...Dino Cloud (Slight Return)!!!
    Last edited by Dino; 9th Jan 2009 at 2:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Cloud (Slight Return) View Post
    EDIT: That's brilliant! When you look at the Planet Skaro forum menu, it's reads "The Deadly...Dino Cloud (Slight Return)!!!
    That phenomenon has it's very own thread here!

I do enjoy watching The Deadly Assassin, but I have to say that it's really not all that good is it? The direction is pretty flat, Tom in part 1 can't talk to himself convincingly... and then there's the plot which kind of feels made up on the hoof - the business of 12 regenerations seems added in quickly to justify the Master needing a plan; the Master's plan revolves around him needing the sash to protect him from the blackhole, but also revolves around him assassinating the President who would be wearing the sash; the sights on the rifle are set so that it's impossible to shoot straight, so surely even a cursory investigation (even without the Doctor's help) would reveal that he didn't do it; the business about 'incoming Presidents releasing all prisoners' is absurd (imagine the internet furore if they had such a plot point today) and suggests that the streets of Gallifrey are always full of murderers, rapists, and the like in the days after a new President is sworn in; part 3 is padding in the extreme; etc, etc.

On the other hand, the cliffhangers are all awesome, and the music's great, and yes I really like it, but... it probably doesn't deserve its reputation IMHO.

Controversial Curnow is in the building!

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    the business about 'incoming Presidents releasing all prisoners' is absurd (imagine the internet furore if they had such a plot point today) and suggests that the streets of Gallifrey are always full of murderers, rapists, and the like in the days after a new President is sworn in;
    I think that's based on an old historical tradition where prisoners, at least of some categories, could be given an amnesty when there was a new king?

As far as the internal logic of it goes, I got the impression that Gallifrey was supposed to be such a static and quiet society that in normal times there was hardly any crime there or anything else that would disturb the peace, except maybe political corruption, which would usually be successfully hidden or ignored.
    Last edited by Logo Polish; 9th Jan 2009 at 9:43 PM.

the business about 'incoming Presidents releasing all prisoners' is absurd
    Duh! It's a metaphor. It refers to the high state of stress that incoming Presidents find themselves under and the peculiar bowel movements it results in.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I think that's based on an old historical tradition where prisoners, at least of some categories, could be given an amnesty when there was a new king?
    Agreed, I've certainly heard of it in reference to, particularly, political prisoners. But I just never could quite buy the suggestion that the incoming President would have no choice but to release his predecessor's assassin, or face a constitutional crisis - that kind of crosses the line between trying to present a staid, dusty civilisation too entrenched in tradition, and a city full of people who are a bit, sniff, dumb.

I've checked up since and it specifically says "political prisoners" rather than of any category.

But indeed it seems an odd thing to get into a dilemma about because it could still be considered murder, political or otherwise, so you'd think there'd be reasonable grounds for making an exemption. Probably says more for how incompetent Goth is.

Don't incoming American Presidents have a similar power?

If they did, my Aunt Dolly's up for parole!

I've always been fond of The Dudley Assimpson (Steve and P-bal have got me at it now!). It was one of the scariest stories that went out when I was young. Yes, Tom talking to himself isn't all that, but otherwise it's a grim, dark thriller that holds my attention all the way through. I don't think it's aged one bit!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    Don't incoming American Presidents have a similar power?
    I believe they do, but that's about it, they can't really do anything else!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

Available to order from Amazon, due for release on May 4th......

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-D.../dp/B001UHNYWI

“If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Its a gothic-Tom-tastic year so far, what with this and Fendahl.

We just need Terror of the Zygons ready for Christmas now
    Bazinga !

It could happen.

Seriously.
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

Bear in mind we've had two Tom's already by May.

Si.

Five in fact don't forget!

Ah, you're absolutely right of course!

Si.

What's good though is that they cover all three producers (sorry Barry, you don't count for Robot!).

Ah, but does he count for 'The Leisure Hive' through to 'Logopolis', though...?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno Simmons View Post
    Five in fact don't forget!

and that will make it 29 tom releases in total which off the top of my head leaves I think another 12 to go so maybe 2-entertain can start to ease back on the number of tom releases each year to just 3.

Extras cleared at the BBFC today.....

00:05:33:22 THE DEADLY ASSASSIN - PHOTO GALLERY
    00:16:35:10 THE FRIGHTEN FACTOR (FEATURETTE)
    00:29:15:19 THE MATRIX REVISITED (FEATURETTE)
    00:00:24:02 (EASTER EGG)
    00:10:28:07 THE GALLIFREYAN CANDIDATE (FEATURETTE)

Directed by Brendan Sheppard; Paul Vanezis
    The cast for this work includes: Lucy Lewis, Alex Lydiate, Peter Cavanna, Barry Letts, Terrance Dicks, Peter Ware, Jim Sangster, Tom Spilsbury, Moray Laing, Annabel Gibson, Philip Hinchcliffe, Tom Baker, David Maloney, Roger Murray-Leach, Bernard Horsfall, Jan Vincent-Rudzki, Mary Whitehouse, Stacy Gillis, Andrew Shail, Simon Ockenden (narrator).
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Anybody know who's on the commentary?
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?