Default Alan Partridge: On The Sky

Is it on the wind?

Steve Coogan has confirmed that an Alan Partridge movie is in the pipeline.

Speaking to BBC Radio 1, the Night At The Museum actor revealed that "there are plans afoot" to bring his hapless chatshow host to the big screen.

"We are planning on making a movie," he said. "We're talking at the moment. What it is we're not quite sure."

Coogan divulged that a storyline has been decided on, but declined to give specifics. The 43-year-old also acknowledged that the leap from TV to film may dictate a change in approach to the character.

"That's just something you need to be aware of," he commented. "You need to be aware of that and it might mean you readdress the character, make him slightly subtler or build up to it in a different way. But that's certainly something that's going to be on our minds but I think Alan is complex enough to sustain something longer."

I can't begin to imagine what this would look like.

Can Alan even exist on film? Everything he's done before has been on videotape, as far as I'm aware.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Which reminds me. We're well overdue arranging our Alan-a-thon.

Pip Madeley Guest

Indeed! If we can arrange a firm date I'll bring the fishcakes and Strawberry Nesquik.

As for the movie, this story has come around a few times, I'll believe it when I see it on the screen.

An Alan Partridge film would be brilliant. Love the chat show, the series, the appearances, the Kate Bush medley!!

Speaking of Coogan and Partridge does anyone know if the recent tour is going to get a DVD release? I'm starved of new Partridge material!!
    'In search of some rest, in search of a break
    From a life of tests, where something's always at stake
    Where something's always so far...'

Hopefully the boo-ing crowds will be an extra.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    Indeed! If we can arrange a firm date I'll bring the fishcakes and Strawberry Nesquik.

As for the movie, this story has come around a few times, I'll believe it when I see it on the screen.
    I know what you mean Pip, but I did see Steve Coogan on T4 on Sunday saying it was definitely in the works. That said, it's yet to be scripted, and all manner of things could go wrong between now and it's eventual release.

I've read that Armando Iannucci isn't interested in co-writing, which I think is a shame as whilst Coogan's a great performer, he isn't at his strongest when writing solo. So I hope someone decent comes in to help with script duties if it does happen.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

I've read that Armando Iannucci isn't interested in co-writing
    Well that's banged that one on the head.

If Coogan could get Iannucci and Chris Morris on board, then it might be worthwhile.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Agreed, it's doomed without Armando.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Hopefully the boo-ing crowds will be an extra.

Si.
    Did it not go down very well then? I thought about getting tickets and even had the chance of a front row one but chose against it because of lack of funds. I read a few good reviews and the last tour DVD was brilliant in my opinion with the behind the scenes footage.

I'm a fan of a lot of Coogan's characters - Paul and Pauline, Duncan Thickett and I felt Tommy Saxondale was an under rated little gem of the last two years.
    'In search of some rest, in search of a break
    From a life of tests, where something's always at stake
    Where something's always so far...'

From The Guardian:

Comedian and actor Steve Coogan has admitted suffering from nerves before a disastrous return to live stand-up which left a sell-out audience booing and walking out.

Reviews and blog postings have poured scorn on the two-night appearance at the Echo Arena in Liverpool, which is this year's European Capital of Culture. Comments from disappointed fans included: "I would rather jump on plug sockets with angry wasps in my mouth than listen to that dross again." Scores of others denounced the celebrity evening, with tickets at almost £70 for two, as a waste of money.

Pip Madeley Guest

I think it's more likely that Peter Baynham will be on board, he worked on the Borat movie which is similar territory (taking a cult British comedy character and building a movie around them set in the USA).

Armando Ianucci and Steve Coogan have agreed a script, apparently.

At this rate the movie will be "hitting" cinemas in about 2050.

Si.

We watched his return on Sky last night. First off, it's very strange that he's moved to Sky after giving evidence against his employers at the Levenson inquiry, although I'm sure it's a different arm of the business and they offered him more money so it's fine anyway. Still, it ensures that his new series will have minimum exposure!

It wasn't a bad little bit of comedy either, there were a lot of good jokes. It was a little inconsistent, with a few of the incidents falling flat, but generally it was good stuff. The show was a tour of Norwich, the places of Alan's life which mostly consisted of fields and test-driving Range Rovers.

The awkward phraseology is in place; Alan tries to mash the word 'Partridge' and 'Pilgrimage' in a horrible way, the black death is compared to flying AIDS and he has a complicated discussion about V8 Turbo engines with the Range Rover salesman. I also really enjoyed some of the TV piss-take editing. There's a marvelous excessive spining shot as Alan stands in the middle of Norwich Town Centre; he nearly drowns off-camera while giving an interview in a swimming pool, but when we cut back to him he is calm and assured in the shallow end; and I loved the way the vicar's speech was violently edited together and cut down.

The whole thing was also a testament to the fact that Alan Partridge doesn't need a budget to be funny. Not brilliant, but decent entertainment.

I can't get the Sky channel that this was broadcast on cos I have the "cheap as chips" Virgin package. Boo!

Nobody listens to Radio 4 / watches Sky Atlantic!

Is it the ultimate act of postmodernism that Alan is now on a station that nobody watches?

Si.

I'd suggest you watch and find out, but that is all but impossible.

Unless you want to give money to a corporation run by a man who hates the English.