Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    Although:
    Would you expect them to say anything else, though. If they had induced him to breach contract, they're hardly going to come out and admit it.

It'd be interesting to see if any club challenges FIFA on the basis of employment law - I don't think it would be legal for any firm which has vacancies and suitably qualified people who want to apply to work for them to be banned from doing so by an outside body under EU law.

I could see that FIFA could say anyone employed during this ban would be illegible to play in any of their competitions, but to actually prevent them being employed sounds dodgy.
    Bazinga !

Captain Tancredi Guest

It all comes down to footballers' terms and conditions of employment, which generally leave them as no better than indentured servants who can be traded at will. A certain amount of give and take seems to be accepted in between top clubs, because the best players usually command transfer fees which are enough to buy in a replacement, while at the lower levels it's a case of needing a midfielder and looking at the ones who are out of contract and prepared to change clubs to keep playing. Michael Ricketts- a player with a reasonable Premier League pedigree- came to Tranmere on a season-long deal recently not having been picked up by a club over the summer.

Both FIFA and UEFA are trying to police a transfer market involving hundreds of clubs and thousands of players, while simultaneously selling a product which needs the top clubs to be able to attract the best players. I suspect that the majority of associations and the majority of leagues are probably more corrupt (or corruptible) than the English leagues- Italy seems to go from one scandal to the next. You can have an absolutely fair and honest transfer market, or you can have a Champions League which features the best players drawn from all over the world, but I doubt you can have both.

6 out of 6. oh yes!
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Quote Originally Posted by duncan View Post
    6 out of 6. oh yes!

Well I'm impressed...

So am I to be honest, but some might say that they would expect nothing less from a team like Charlton in League One. But, after the disaster that was last season, Parkinson has turned things around and confidence is high. Of course it will all come crashing down around our ears next saturday as Pardew and Southampton are coming to the Valley and Parky was nominated for manager of the month today which is always a curse. I certainly hope it isn't Pardew that ends our terrific start to the season.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    Would you expect them to say anything else, though. If they had induced him to breach contract, they're hardly going to come out and admit it.
    Man Utd threaten to sue Le Havre

excelent performance from England last night

Pip Madeley Guest

Looking forward to a fun summer next year

Aha! Leeds lost their 100% record last night in a goaless draw against Southend. If we beat Southampton at the Valley today we go 2 poibts clear at the top.

Now we lose ours and wasn't the writing on the wall with Pardew coming to the Valley? Although, I would like to watch The Football League Show tonight as we had the ball in the back of the net three times in the second half and two of them were ruled off side which at the time I thought was doubtful. As well as hitting the post, we could have easily won 4-1 today.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Words really do fail me.

Hmm, we've been brought back down to Earth with a bump after the last week and a bit. Proof that we're not Top 4 material but heck, we're still ahead of Arsenal and ten points better off than this time last year!

We need to get back to winning ways now though and maintain a Top 6 challenge.

Same here. 2 draws on the spin now. It still means we are undefeated but Leeds have a 2 point lead.

Damn, damn - a disallowed goal after only 20 minutes, and then the jammy Reds sneak one in. Good to see we can almost hold our own against (an admittidly second string) Liverpool

Oh well, we'll have to settle for Division 1 champions !
    Bazinga !

oh how I hate bloody Bolton

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Masters View Post
    Damn, damn - a disallowed goal after only 20 minutes, and then the jammy Reds sneak one in. Good to see we can almost hold our own against (an admittidly second string) Liverpool

Oh well, we'll have to settle for Division 1 champions !
    Blimey - forget Manchester-Time-Warp-Gate, having watched the highlights tonight not only was our disallowed goal clearly not offside, but Mascarano should been sent off for clocking Beckford round the back of the head with his arm.

We was robbed, I tells ya !!
    Bazinga !

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Masters View Post
    Blimey - forget Manchester-Time-Warp-Gate, having watched the highlights tonight not only was our disallowed goal clearly not offside, but Mascarano should been sent off for clocking Beckford round the back of the head with his arm.

We was robbed, I tells ya !!

certainly agree that Leeds dissalowed goal was very harsh..

Pip Madeley Guest

I'll be in the Stretford End at the United vs Wolfsburg game tonight so if any of you watch it and see me in the crowd, let me know!

Norwich won 5-1 today. Miracles do happen!!!!!!!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

Pip Madeley Guest

Just announced: Extra MOTD tonight - highlights of the World Cup qualifier between Ukraine & England. BBC One at 10.15pm.

Captain Tancredi Guest

In all the sadness over Barry Letts yesterday it didn't really seem appropriate to express relief let alone rejoicing at Digger and Trigger being given their marching orders from Prenton Park, but the situation couldn't be allowed to continue. Seems strange to have Les Parry in charge- he's probably best known for his physio's column in the programme which has become cult reading among programme collectors because he pokes fun at all the players and their private lives. So the season starts on Monday with a six-pointer against Stockport, the nearest thing we have to local rivals these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Tancredi View Post
    In all the sadness over Barry Letts yesterday it didn't really seem appropriate to express relief let alone rejoicing at Digger and Trigger being given their marching orders from Prenton Park, but the situation couldn't be allowed to continue. Seems strange to have Les Parry in charge- he's probably best known for his physio's column in the programme which has become cult reading among programme collectors because he pokes fun at all the players and their private lives. So the season starts on Monday with a six-pointer against Stockport, the nearest thing we have to local rivals these days.

not sure if you saw it but I read in yesterdays Sunday People, that Robbie Fowler, could be given the job as player manager if that's true it will certainly be taking a huge risk.

As for John Barnes, i'm not suprised he's gone his time at Celtic was enough to prove he's just not good enough to be a manager.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Fowler's been rumoured to be coming to us in one way or another for a good six months. For the moment at least I'd credit our chairman with the sense not to make the same mistake twice.

The Times has helpfully pointed out that John Barnes wasn't sacked because of racism. Did anyone - at all - anywhere - in the whole world - think that it was?
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.