Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

and given the story came third bottom in the DWM Mighty 200 poll, I'm not exactly coming out of the blue with this one
    I don't know why, but that's made me laugh - I suddenly had visions of Trevor MacDonald doing the news headlines:

Bong - Doctor Who fans in "Time and the Rani is unpopular" shocker - Bong

Sorry, I'll go to work now...

McCoy did have a solid background in the theatre before taking on the role- he'd just had The Pied Piper at the National Theatre written specially for him before he took the role- not something every actor gets- and something no toher actor to paly the Doctor has had AFAIK. It's just that his TV career had mostly consisted of children's TV and comic children's TV at that before he took on Doctor Who- and I think that coloured percpetions before he started.

The McCoy years still seem contentious after all these years and I agree with much of what Pip and Si say here. In essence there's no difference between what McCoy did or what Troughton and Tom did with the comedy business, but perhaps the McCoy stuff falls down a little because there wasn't the back up of strong direction or strong stories to help it. I think McCoy needed strong directors to get a good performance out of him- look at the difference between his acting in Battlefield and the rest of season 26 to see where this falls down. He gave some great performances, but there were always moments where he fell down and didn't quite convince. He's not one of my huge favourites I'll admit, but there are some wonderful McCoy moments and wonderful McCoy stories where everything comes together very well.

Personally I think he's OK in Time and the Rani, but he's not backed up by a strong script. I like the story immensely, but I can't argue that the dialogue is at all naturalistic or indeed easy to say. The cast do seem to be giving it their all though and as a 12 year old sitting down to this in 1987, I thought it was great to have colourful and fun Doctor Who back after Trial.

I'm enjoying reading everyone's opinions on this thread. Pip and Si are being honest here and that's always appreciated... but I hope no-one falls out over this. Everyone is entitled to voice their opinions here, and I hope you can agree to disagree over this.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    McCoy did have a solid background in the theatre before taking on the role- he'd just had The Pied Piper at the National Theatre written specially for him before he took the role- not something every actor gets- and something no toher actor to paly the Doctor has had AFAIK. It's just that his TV career had mostly consisted of children's TV and comic children's TV at that before he took on Doctor Who- and I think that coloured percpetions before he started.
    True, and I think to the embattled fandom of 1987 it felt as if a "serious" actor in Colin Baker had been replaced by a children's performer who fitted in more with the drift towards light entertainment that a lot of fans were seeing. I'd argue that it took Troughton and McCoy roughly the same amount of episodes to really find their Doctors' characters, but the difference is that in Troughton's case that amounted to three months and in McCoy's case a year, by which time a season's worth of stories had been used up trying to find the new format.

I went off the McCoy era, but this does sound fun so I may preorder it. Winter does need a bit of exubererance.

Captain Tancredi Guest

I found myself wondering yesterday how many casual buyers might plump for it in the mistaken impression that it's a Sarah Jane crossover...

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post

-He's not one of my huge favourites I'll admit, but there are some wonderful McCoy moments and wonderful McCoy stories where everything comes together very well.

Si xx

same with me. Mccoy's reputation never really recovered from the awful stuff we saw in his previous 2 seasons and I've often wonderd how different things would of turned out for Mccoy and Doctor Who, had the stories in seasons 24 and 25 all been of the same quality as those in season 26.

I think Sylvester is a very unusual actor - lots of personality, a little bit of darkness and he has this way of coming across as if he's a second or two out of synch with everyone else. On one level this makes him the perfect Doctor Who, but I appreciate it's an act that isn't for everyone. There's not the comfort zone there that David Tennant projects.

When Season 24 first aired I loved it, and still do, but it went down like a lead balloon in school. I was 12 at the time and for me it was really different to have these 'fun' adventures featuring a goofy little professor and his flame haired bubbly assistant, who really enjoyed their adventures and were having fun. After a few years of Tegan and Peri moaning, this was very unusual. But it also didn't feel like 'Doctor Who' - there was a stageyness here that didn't quite convince and it wasn't 'my' Doctor Who anymore - the explosions looked naff and the videotaped exteriors had a cam corder feel to them. I felt like I couldn't really let it in. And in some ways what followed was even worse when the Doctor became the dark manipulator, etc. They were messing with the format too much. I think I was going through the 'I'm too old for Doctor Who phase'.

It wasn't until the early 90's that I allowed myself to really view and enjoy the McCoy years and Ghost Light is one of my top 5 favourite stories ever. I see it now as a brave attempt to push the boundaries of the show despite being lumbered with some limitations that were unavoidable. McCoy really does what he can with the material available too him and shines when he's the dark figure manipulating events from the back ground - his confrontation with Helen A is a fine example.
    'In search of some rest, in search of a break
    From a life of tests, where something's always at stake
    Where something's always so far...'

both Play.com and Amazon, now have a release date of 6th sept 2010.

Seven months is too long to wait, bring back the Doctor don't hesitate.

Visualise the note!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon R View Post
    Seven months is too long to wait, bring back the Doctor don't hesitate.

is a bit suprising they have pushed this release back to september, before we know the releases for June to August.

Anyone would think they allowed their perceptions of the stories to colour the priority they give the releases.

Either that or Mark Greenstreet is holding out for more royalties.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Anyone would think they allowed their perceptions of the stories to colour the priority they give the releases.

Either that or Mark Greenstreet is holding out for more royalties.

Si.

you mean save the crap till last..

I don't know what you're talking about Larry - Pyramids of Mars came out ages ago.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

And so did Planet of Evil.

Si.

[controversy]as did City of Death[/controversy]

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Not to mention several other stories that came near the bottom of the recent DWM poll of favourite stories!

And I enjoyed them all
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Maybe they're saving it till it's as close as possible to its anniversary, which is one day after the suggested release date?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    I don't know what you're talking about Larry - Pyramids of Mars came out ages ago.

carefull now - you wouldn't want to upset me by disrespecting one of my fav's...

But you don't mind dissing one of our fave's eh Larry?

Double standards you see!

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    But you don't mind dissing one of our fave's eh Larry?

Double standards you see!

Si.

that's fandome for you..

Y'see. There's nothing you can do to stop it.

DWM confirms this for September 13 2010! Hooray!

Si xx

Just in time for Zel's birthday, ooh she'll be thrilled!

Extras from the BBFC:

00:01:37:14 EYE-SORE (EASTER EGG)
    00:02:01:22 LAKERTYA (FEATURETTE)
    00:02:25:17 HOT GOSSIP (FEATURETTE)
    00:01:11:23 THE NAME'SH MCCOY (EASTER EGG)
    00:09:14:09 HELTER-SKELTER (FEATURETTE)
    00:28:36:11 THE LAST CHANCE SALOON (FEATURETTE)
    00:11:20:03 7D FX (FEATURETTE)
    00:00:32:22 UNTITLED (EASTER EGG - REGENERATION)
    00:08:14:14 TIME AND THE RANI - PHOTO GALLERY
    00:04:04:09 UNTITLED (ON LOCATION)
    00:01:20:17 BLUE PETER (FEATURETTE)

Si xx