1 7.14%
  • Weeping Angels

4 28.57%
  • Midnight Monster

3 21.43%
  • Martian Water Possessed Zombies

3 21.43%

Default Friday Poll: Fear Factor

Nothing frightens me! Except the scary creatures from Doctor Who, typically one monster per year.

Doctor Who has produced a line of terrifying beasties in it's long history. Who can forget the horrific Beast of Tara, a creature so insidiously frightening that they had to limit it's screentime to a minimum. Then there were the Plasmatons - after the show, the BBC were phoned up by Fairy Liquid saying 'Please don't make washing-up scary'. And who doesn't have nightmares to this day about the Visians? I know I do. My nightmares are packed full of Visians, but you can't see them you know.

Let's have a look at the creepy credentials of some of Doctor Who's most frightening foes.

GAS MASK ZOMBIES:
    'Are you my mummy?' Well, are you? These creatures have transformation, the fear of infection and a creepy child-like catchphrase as their three main weapons of terror.

POSSESSED OOD:
    They start off threatening, turn cute and then keep slipping in mentions of THE COMING OF THE EVIL ONE when you least expect it. Scary tentacles emerge from their scary faces, with scary red eyes creating a scary effect. Scary.

WEEPING ANGELS:
    Statues! Are! Scary! Don't! Blink! They move when you're not looking and rely on what's becoming Moffatt's trademark - a nice face that turns scary. Watch out! Being made of stone, they are also immune to being kicked in the ghoulies.

MIDNIGHT MONSTER:
    This is a creepy and unsettling monster. Invisible, unknowable and mysterious. Watch out! It'll repeat what you say! Watch out! It'll repeat what you say! Who said that? Who said that? etc. etc.

MARTIAN EVIL WATER ZOMBIES:
    'Water always wins!' Again with the fear of infection, these creatures are out to give you a scary soaking. The cracked dryness of the lips and gaping black mouths are topped by frightening eyes. Using the elemental force of water means they can seep through any gap. There's no escape!

Which do you find most fearsome? And are there any New Series frightners that I've missed out on? Tell us!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Oooh - hard choice between the Gas mask zombies, who were perhaps scarier cos a child's voice for such things always pushes a very disturbing button, or the Angels.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

I thought the angels were dull and silly, but I know I'm in a minority.

Although I haven't been scared by any of them really, I've voted for the possessed Ood, whcih i know really terrified my nephew a few years back.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I'm afraid Si I went for the Angels! I just think that sequence where the lights flicker and every time they come back the Angel is a little bit closer until its right in your face is very spine tingling! That said, the Empty Child runs it close, as that was pretty scary!

Si.

I've plumbed (groan!) for the Martian Water Possessed Zombies.
    There's just something about possessed humans, hostile outside, confined spaces and drowning that really scares me.

The Angels and then the gas mask child are also on my list.

I have to agree with Philip. The Martian Water Possessed Zombies were far scarier. Just ask my daughter! I was tempted to vote for the Weeping Angels but they don't actually kill you as such. As good an epsiode Blink was, wasn't it really the music that was the frightener rather than the Weeping Angels themselves?

The Martian Zombies looked scary too.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Slowly the tide turns against the Angels. Fear not, Mr. Hart, they will be like us.

The gas mask zombies are my favourite new monsters of the entire run, this side of the TVM at any rate. Apart from having the disembodied voice coming from the mouthless masks, it's the masks becoming, rather than covering the face.

I think whatever the hell was in Midnight was the scariest due to the lack of information as to what it looked like? We saw what it did... but how? If you survived an attack like that, what could you warn people of? Makes no difference if you blinked at it!

Having watched tonight's confidential those weeping angels are even less scary than before.
    They can't even keep a yellow workman's helmet on!!!

The Angels, definitely. Turning back and finding a monster IN! YOUR! FACE!

GAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
    Why build an engine when you have a perfectly good whale?

The Lads are rather like that. Very well trained they are.