Default When companions shine ...

I was in a video store at the weekend and looking through some New Series DVDs.

It got me wondering - every companion, even the ones we don't like surely has some moment where they really shine, kind of the key dramatic moment of the character.

For someone like Donna, that probably was not when she saved the world in Journey's End, but for me, probably either the scene in Runaway Bride where she tells the Doctor that sometimes someone needs to stop him, or the scene in Fires of Pompei where she pleads for the Doctor save the life of the Roman family.

Surely every character must have one? Any come to mind for other companions?
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

I started thinking from the beginning, and am already struggling to think of any moment where Susan did anything of much note, other than being hysterical and a bit rubbish all the time. She was quite powerful in the TARDIS scene in the original pilot though, although maybe "sinister" would be a better word.

Dodo's greatest moment was sadly off screen, the day after the Doctor had left her, when she saved the world from a rogue Zarbi Warrior who crash landed in Wivenhoe. Sadly no one will ever know how she used a multi-pack of Baked Beans to batter his Venom Grub pilot to death and then used a make-up mirror to trick him into falling to his death over the edge of a motorway bridge.

Si.

Tegan, when Adric pooped in her hat. It was a lifetime highlight.

Possibly my favourite Sarah Jane moment has to come from Genesis of the Daleks, where the Doctor is struggling with whether to wipe out the Daleks or not ...

"We're talking about the Daleks. The most evil creatures ever invented. You must destroy them"

Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Of course for Peri it had to be ...

And it was downhill all the way from this ...

I have a fondness for Benton's reaction to the TARDIS in the Three Doctors. When the Doctor asks him if he's going to say it's bigger on the inside, Benton goes ""Well, that's pretty obvious, isn't it? .

Lalla Ward's Romana of course shines throughout The Horns of Nimon, as she's really the Doctor, while Tom goes round and has some fun.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Victoria Waterfield rocks the mike when she gets all feisty with the gun in Tomb of the Cybermen. Some might say.

Polly is brilliant in The Moonbase where she uses nail varnish remover on the Cybermen.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Zoe shines in everything and not just for shaggability reasons, she literally is always being right in the mix sorting stuff out and being clever and kicking the Karkus's ass. She still does all the typical scared-little-girl stuff as well, but they probably got the mix right with her more than any other companion.

Jo Grant has her big moment at the end of Frontier In Space where the Master finds out he can't hypnotise her any more. It doesn't last long, but it's a real high for the girl.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I like Sarah Jane rounding on Scorby in The Seeds of Doom, pointing out that once he doesn't have a gun in his hand he's not the tough guy who threatened her back in part 2. Sladen carries it off with just the right balance of defiance with little touches to show that she is actually still scared of him.

Surely Josephine has a little sparkle when she does her "take me, not him!" bit in The Daemons?