Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I was amused cos an aerial shot of crowds adoring the Pope was shown at the news. They seemed to form a Pagan Pentangle ...
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Carol would've had something to say about that I dare say!

Captain Tancredi Guest

It's been interesting watching this from the comparative safety of Budapest over the last few days- on the surface of it, there's no difference between the Pope coming over and addressing vast crowds and, say, Barack Obama doing the same. There's obviously a set drill for state visits- I can remember about 15 years ago seeing the Mall draped in enormous Finnish flags because the Queen was about to host a state visit by the President of Finland- and I would guess that withdrawing an invitation which had previously been extended is fairly serious in the world of international diplomacy.

My views of Catholicism are tempered by the fact that my aunt came within a couple of hundred yards of being blown up by the IRA about 25 years ago, but many of the Catholics I've met since then have been very warm and well-adjusted people. But I do think it probably needed somebody to break ranks and say that if we have an atheistic society, it's a choice that we as a nation have made collectively and the church should reflect that as we (for some reason) have to respect people who make a living from going around talking to their imaginary friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Tancredi View Post
    My views of Catholicism are tempered by the fact that my aunt came within a couple of hundred yards of being blown up by the IRA about 25 years ago, but many of the Catholics I've met since then have been very warm and well-adjusted people. But I do think it probably needed somebody to break ranks and say that if we have an atheistic society, it's a choice that we as a nation have made collectively and the church should reflect that as we (for some reason) have to respect people who make a living from going around talking to their imaginary friend.
    I'm half-tempted to smile at the image of the Pope being placed on the same level of an actor appearing as a regular on Sesame Street. Fundamentalism in any religion, it has to be said, does detract from the good that can come from it. For all I've said about some of the things I don't agree with, and this includes blowing people up just because they're British and/or Protestant, people do get comfort in believing that the Lord and the Blessed Virgin are looking after them. (And no Lissa, I'm not referring to Lloyd Webber and Branson - oh ) And during this Papal visit, the Catholic-run charity CAFOD joined a rally which supported their efforts to end worldwide poverty.

I don't distrust religion per se. It's not the gun that kills, it's the finger that pulls the trigger. And apologies once again if I've appeared to come over too serious, or appeared to take over the thread.

It's not the gun that kills, it's the finger that pulls the trigger.
    Technically, it's the bullet that kills. Unless you've pistol whipped someone to death, then it was the gun.

There's always one!

The Pope says the UK is an athiest country.

However the Catholic Church for years has supported the idea of Devine Right - that the monarchy were chosen by God to be above us.

So when I look at Prince Phillip is it any wonder I don't believe in God?
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Ah, but when Prince Philip looks in the mirror...