• 3: The bells! The bells!

3 13.64%
  • 2: I don't Bell-eve it!

0 0%
  • 1: Bell bottom

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Rate and Discuss: The Bells of Saint John

New series! New Companion and all that....

The Doctor’s search for Clara Oswald brings him to modern day London, where Wi-Fi is everywhere. Humanity lives in a Wi-Fi soup. But something dangerous is lurking in the signals, picking off minds and imprisoning them. As Clara becomes the target of this insidious menace, the Doctor races to save her and the world from an ancient enemy.

What did you think of it then?

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I absolutely loved that. It was everything you wanted from a season opener - beautifully shot and made (a bit Sherlock visual-wise), so contemporary it will be dated by next week (always good!), pacey, the plot broadly made sense, Celia Imirie was great, the Spoonheads were superbly sinister and Matt and JLC were on top form. There was a surprise in the form of the re-appearance of you-who-know as you-know-what, and the Doctor was brave, heroic, clever witty and lovely. A great start to the season.

I'm trying to think of something bad to say but there's very little. The title doesn't suit the story at all, the "Doctor Who? Say that again" moment was silly and I felt that having a random person appear and explain basically the whole nature of the enemy in the first 5 minutes was a mistake. For once, can we discover the plot WITH the Doctor, not be fed it before the opening credits? Also enough with the story starting with the Doctor in some weird crazy setup, why can't the TARDIS just appear?

Those are crumbs of complaints though. On the whole I really enjoyed it, it felt at once both traditional and totally up to date. Well done all!

Si.

Oh my god, I needed that.

It was very heavy with "Silence in the Library"/"Forest of the Dead" references, wasn't it? And my heart sank when I saw "Amelia Williams"

I'll need to watch it again but I'm almost certain I saw 4's Scarf!

I gave it a 7. It's good to have it back, but the first episode introducing a companion is usually a bit of a slowburn.
    Didn't see the twist at the end though. And next week looks like it's back to normal.
    My rating might go up after seeing it again. But I don't feel like watching it again.
    Still think this series is going to be a vintage. We just haven't lifted off yet.
    But we've had clearance!

Next weeks looks rubbish.

Si.

After all the build up, I thought that was a bit "meh". I felt the same with Partners in crime and this reminded me of that. I want to watch again before i give a score.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

It wasn't the scarf.

Loving the banner by the way!

8/10 from me - a solid, enjoyable start to the new (? midway) season. Celia Imrie deliciously evil. I hope the concept of nastiness in the Wifi will give kids nightmares tonight

I liked the Amelia reference, it's good to know she's not totally forgotten. I thought the style was a little too close to Sherlock with all that "text going across the screen" graphics. But that's my only minor quibble.

To me, it's all about Matt Smith. I could happily watch him in every scene. He just sparkles so much, even if it's only in a look or a hand gesture. Please stay longer Matt!

Really really enjoyed that, it wasn't a stand out classic episode but it was extremely solid, an awful lot of fun in a way that so very tv shows ever even attempt to be. It nicely reintroduced Clara, had lots of fun sequences, and sets up a new big bad for (presumably) the season. And you can't ask for a lot more than that. 8/10
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Quote Originally Posted by NoraBrimstone View Post
    It wasn't the scarf.
    Wasn't it?

If a cricket bat turns up in the background of next week's episode, the Internet will literally explode.
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

Whitney says that this one should have been called: "Why you should use Linux"

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

3 out of 10

The precredits sequence, whilst mercifuly less than 15 minutes long for once, was totally unengaging and that stayed with me for thr rest of the episode. It was boring and dull.

I quite enjoyed that. Even the "snog box" and the "Down boy" stuff didn't annoy me. I do agree with Si Hunt in that it would be nice for a story to start at the begining from the Doctor's point of view, rather than him be half way through something - oh and enough of having him appear from under a cloak or similar. I'm sure everyone knew that would be the Doctor from the first second the hooded figure appeared on screen!
    I'm still loving that new TARDIS interior and JLC is lovelly.... and she can act too!

Now i'm getting confused, admittedly it doesn't take much to confuse me, but wasn't Asylum of the Daleks the season opener or has something changed?
    I suppose the general public will see tonights story as a season opener as its the first episode for a while, but I thought this is series 7 part 2 or something like that!

I think next week's looks quite good (as far as anyone can tell from the little teaser at the end).

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Lethbridge-Stewart View Post
    Now i'm getting confused, admittedly it doesn't take much to confuse me, but wasn't Asylum of the Daleks the season opener or has something changed?
    I suppose the general public will see tonights story as a season opener as its the first episode for a while, but I thought this is series 7 part 2 or something like that!
    That's very true, I guess because it's been so long since the last batch of episodes (ignoring the xmas special), and that it (sort of) introduced a new companion, it just felt very much like a season opener.

I just love that there's a sci-fi show on like this that is so much fun - a lot of sci-fi of late has been gritty, grim and depressing, and whilst that appeals some of the time, I much prefer a show like this which mixes it up to tremendous effect. I guess that's why it frustrates so much that it's not on as much as it used to be (well, the glory days of seasons 1 - 4, anyway) as at it's best it's far and away the best thing on tv right now.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

I really enjoyed it. I was pleased thst I guessed who the enemy was ( shades of Downtime- trapped on the computer internet!) and I thought Celia Indie was rather fabulous- especially her rather horrible last scene. Thought thst was quite creepy.

I love Matt's Doctor so much. He had great chemistry with Jenna Louise, who also continues to impress me.

A good start I reckon.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    I really enjoyed it. I was pleased thst I guessed who the enemy was ( shades of Downtime- trapped on the computer internet!) and I thought Celia Indie was rather fabulous- especially her rather horrible last scene. Thought thst was quite creepy.

I love Matt's Doctor so much. He had great chemistry with Jenna Louise, who also continues to impress me.

A good start I reckon.
    I agree. I didn't guess who the old enemy was until about half way, but he/it has been updated very well. It will be interesting to see how this develops.

Meh.

Some nice sinister moments like the spoony head girl on the stairs (even though her presence made no sense at all... where did she come from? If they're just sending disguised robots around to "upload" people then what is the wi-fi signal thing even for?), but really it was just a lot of running around and not making much sense as usual, and the series is in grave danger of disappearin up its own arse at the moment.

Plus all the facebook/twitter stuff leaves me totally cold.

And I don't care how "alien" a wi-fi signal is, it's not going to be able to download a new font onto your computer before you even connect to it.

Well,
    Take a guess at what people's Wi-Fi passwords will be, from now on
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

Surely you're allowed to get lost up your own arse on your 50th birthday!

Si.

I've watched it again and I'm still not impressed.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post

Si.
    I won't even ask how you blow the candles out!

Might I suggest "carefully".

Did anybody else think of Deadlock the ABC Warrior 'motorbiking' up the side of that huge needle-like building on Mars, when 'the Doctor' anti-grav'd up the side of the Shard? Or is that just me?

...and a few other observations from moi:-

The Doctor has a deft touch when biting into a Jammy Dodger. He didn't spill a single crumb!

Also when he was ferreting around the bottom of the TARDIS control room looking for a new outfit, didn't the pattern and colour of the "cupboard" remind you of the secondary control room?

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post

Si.
    What you do behind closed doors is your own business

But yes, I'd agree if it was disappearing up its own arse in an all-encompassing Doctor Whoey way, but it's doing it in a very specific Moffat kind of way. I suppose HE'S the one doing the disappearing act.

Oh and while I'm in such a joyous mood, I'll just say I'm really sick of Murray Gold's oompah oompah Danny Elfman music all the time. Captain Unsubtlety.